Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Squid and the Whale

This film has varying levels of oddness, with true moments of brilliance, and lines that I will be quoting the rest of my life. However over all at the end of the movie I was left feeling as though it didn't really finish, and it was kind of flat. Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney are parents that separate on pretty bad terms and the effect that is has on their children is quite extreme. Yet you kind of feel like there was something kind of off base with the children to start with anyway so the separation just added to it. Both kids (Jesse Eisenberg, and Owen Kline) in this film pull off really amazing acting jobs and I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more of both of them in films to come. William Baldwin also has a small but important role in this film. Baldwin's acting isn't wowing and I've definitely seen him do better but he didn't kill the film either. Over all I would have to give this film a B-. You can really wait til they show it on HBO or something like that. I don't think I would watch it on regular TV though they might cut out one or two important things to know.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367089/

http://www.squidandthewhalemovie.com/

No comments: