Thursday, March 8, 2007

Zodiac

Wow there were a lot of things I liked and didn't like about this film. I'll start of with the likes and move on from there. The setting of San Francisco was great. I didn't see one car, that was there before it's time, no cell phones, the clothes were realistic, just all of it was perfect. There were times I felt like I should have been looking for me and my dad walking in the background. The passing of time was also done really well in this, nothing ever really looked out of place. The acting in this was also top notch. Robert Downey Jr played his alcoholic, drug addict writer role so well there were times you would almost think he is using again. (no I'm not saying he is I'm just saying he acted this really well) Jake Gyllenhaal also did a wonderful job as Robert Graysmith. There are actually a lot of really good actors in this film like Mark Ruffalo, Anythony Edwards, and Brian Cox just to name a few. All of which I thought did a really good job of becoming that other person. Lastly being that this film is about the search for the zodiac killer I thought they did a really good job of not really making this an over bloody film. The horror angle could have really been played up because of that ; instead they really kept much more of the focus on the search, not the actual killing. Often films go for that extra gore because they can, just because you can doesn't mean you should and I think it was done really well in this one. I do have two little things that I didn't particularly like about this film. One would be that the aging of Jake Gyllenhaal's character never really seemed to happen. Everyone else in the film got a little grey, or some laugh lines on their face, something that showed that it had been a substantial amount of time. Also speaking of a substantial amount of time, jeez 2hours 35 minutes. Personally I felt there was a bit of a drag in the middle, I do have a friend that feels it could have been wrapped up better and faster at the end. Either way you look at it, it was just too long over all. I give this film a B.

A friend of mine suggested that I post the links to the IMDB site for the film I'm talking about here along with the movie site address if they have one so at the bottom of my reviews I'll be doing that now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443706/

http://www.zodiacmovie.com/

1 comment:

mootz said...

this is the mootz speaking. i like commenting because commenting is so much fun.