Saturday, January 29, 2011

Black Swan

Since this film was released I have heard a lot about it and yet not much. I wouldn't say that I can't say what it's about because I don't want to ruin it for anyone (which would be true), but really more because when the film was over I sat there in the theater an extra few minutes trying to figure out what the film was truly about. The lines between reality, dream, and madness are so blurred that you just aren't sure. In that past when I have seen movies like that I didn't like them because it often left you feeling that you had just wasted 2 hours of your life that you will never get back. In this film however the beauty, the intrigue, base storyline had me so interested that I found my self enjoying not knowing what or who was real at the time.
One of the things that I heard the most was that I would have to see this film at least 2 times to understand it, I would have to say to truly understand every part of this film you will have to take some serious time of dissecting each scene, and some reading up on Swan Lake.
I should say there are some scenes that are rather unsettling, it's not so much that they are bloody but it's what is being done to cause the blood. I understand that it is all about that line of reality getting blurred again but seeing someone stabbing them selves in the face was something I really could have done without.
Last but not least I have got to mention the acting in this. I was truly impressed by the acting done by Mila Kunis, most people will recognize her as Jackie Burkhart in That 70's Show. This character is a complete departure of Jackie. In this film she is playing someone that you think is nice, then you think is back stabbing, then you just don't know. As far as the acting from everyone else was also very impressed, just not as blown away because I've seen Natalie Portman, Barara Hershey, and Vincent Cassel in film that required fantastic acting and have not been disappointed. With Mila Kunis the only thing I had really seen was her playing Jackie which was a role that didn't really require stellar acting.
Now I am going to say something that I haven't found my self saying in years.
I think this might be the best film I've seen in a year maybe two. I'm still in the process of trying to see all the Oscar nominees so it might get knocked down a little but for right now this one is it for me.
I give this film an A+.

Official site
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/blackswan/

IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947798/

No comments: